Child Labor Law Information


Education Code for Work Based Learning

Work Permit Forms   

Entertainment Work Permit

Entertainment Work Permit form     

Work Permit FAQs

Work Permits for Volunteer Workers and Student Coaches

AB 1025: Schools, employees and volunteers: Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate; November 19, 2009
If the pupil activity is sponsored by the school district, the minor is not required to have a work permit (29 USC 203(s)(1)), however they shall have a Certificate of Age (29 CFR 570.9). In California we do not issue Certificates of Age, thus you are to issue a work permit in its place. 

So now, minors who coach or referee sports for a school district not only must have a work permit, but also must obtain an Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing

The section of interest is below: SEC. 3. Section 49024 is added to the Education Code, to read: 

EC 49024. (a) Prior to assuming a paid or volunteer position to supervise, direct, or coach a pupil activity program sponsored by, or affiliated with, a school district, all non- certificated candidates shall obtain an Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 44258.7. 

The full copy of AB 1025 can be located at


Child Labor Laws 2013

Labor Law FAQs

CA Minimum Wage Notice

CA DIR Workplace Postings

Fair Labor Standards Act

Fair Labor Standard Act Checklist - Should a student worker be paid (pdf file)

Work Experience Educator Job Description (pdf file) 

Barclays California Code of Regulations on WEE (pdf file)



California Law (html) 

CA Department of Fair Employment and Housing

CA Department of Industrial Relations

IWC Wage Orders Homepage